Wednesday 25 January 2012

Why We Need Autistic Super Heroes

Alphas' Gary Bell is a hero kids autistic and not can look up to
This post is in response to io9's "Why do we want autistic kids to have superpowers?"

Now, I'm not autistic -- nor do I know anyone who is. That being said, I can only tell you why I want people on the Autism Spectrum to be included among such heroes as Superman and Green Lantern: Because those kids need heroes just like them.

Having heroes like Gary Bell (Alphas) also shows that those on the Spectrum can function quite well, thank you very much. And when it comes to perpetuating stereotypes, I prefer that the world of entertainment err on the positive side.

So, I hope to see this trend of autistic superheroes continue, expand to the point where it won't even be an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment